Old November 16th 05, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Unclear Clearance

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 16:32:42 -0600, Mitty wrote:

Did I need to ask?

Yes.

Should I have assumed pilot's discretion?

No.

She did not tell me to descend, just gave me
the altitude limit.

ATC gave you a new altitude to "maintain" until established. That is your
altitude assignment. In my part of the world, it is usually preceded by a
"climb" or "descend" but I don't know if that is required.

Since you were uncertain, and since the terminology seems somewhat
ambiguous, clearing it up with ATC seems prudent.

She could have said "maintain at *or above* 4000' until established", in
which case it would have been pilot's discretion as to when to descend to
4000' prior to becoming established, but she did not.

AIM 5-5-4 a.
3. Upon receipt of an approach clearance while on an unpublished
route or being radar vectored:
(a) ...
(b) Maintains the last assigned altitude until established on a
segment of a published route or IAP, at which time published altitudes
apply.