Old December 19th 04, 06:56 PM
Matt Whiting

Paul Folbrecht wrote:
Thanks. It seems this is the consensus. Although what my instructor is
aiming for is possible (and I'm sure he can do it regularly), it's
awfully difficult in practice. He says the full deflection should be
for just an instant, while I usually have it for maybe 2s.

Your flight instructor doesn't understand very well how a VOR
transmitter works. The cone of confusion gets larger with increasing
altitude. If you fly over the VOR about 50' above it, then the
deflection would be for "just an instant." If you fly over at 10,000
feet, the full scale deflection can last for quite some time (several
seconds at least), depending on how fast an airplane you are flying.

Matt