Old May 4th 06, 05:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default IFR use of handheld GPS

On Wed, 3 May 2006 19:55:06 -0400, "William L.Snow, PE"
wrote:

Simply said, ifr use of vfr gps is not in the spirit of the far's.

Is it or isn't it? Think about it for a minute.

You can file IFR accept an IFR direct clearance by simply flying
vectors, so it matters little what you have in the plane for equipment
as long as you have the equipment necessary to make any required
approache(s)

Let's say there is a 100 miles of rain between where I am now which is
CAVU and my destination is CAVU. I have enough gas to turn around and
come back home if need be and I have only the minimum required
instruments for legally fly in IMC.

I see the storm ahead, air file, ATC gives me a vector or vectors as
need be. I come out the other side of the storm and close the flight
plan although I have in the real world had them ask that I stay with
them until the destination is in sight and VFR.

This is strictly legal when in a RADAR environment.

Now say I have my trusty 296 with me. I still file with the same
equipment suffix as I would have used without the 296. I am legal in
every sense of the FARs and in addition I have a backup hand held GPS
which I can use for my position and course and ATC is happy to have me
do so. I do not need to tell them I have GPS. I can request direct
and they can tell me cleared direct or direct when able to where ever
with out a request from me. I can accept said "cleared direct", reply
"unable, or request vectors.

Now in real life I happen to have RNAV (not GPS). I have the
equipment go from point A to point B in the system be it direct, by
vectors, or airways which meets the intent of the FARs. That I choose
to do so by following my 296 is immaterial as I have all of the
equipment in the plane to meet the equipment suffix I used when
filing.

If the internal batteries in the 296 die, and I've forgotten the
lighter plug adapter, it is my responsibility to be able to properly
fly the clearance even if it is done by requesting vectors. However I
have a panel full of *stuff* that should enable me to do so without
having to request vectors if I have been paying attention and I keep
everything set up including the ADF to watch stations along the route.

The thing I've never figured out is whey do they bother with "enroute
certified GPS" when there is no need for enroute certified GPS UNLESS
this pertains specifically to panel mounted instruments.
You don't need enroute certified anything as long as you are in RADAR
contact and you can not get a direct clearance if you are not in RADAR
contact regardless of what ever certified equipment you have..

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com