View Single Post
Old August 6th 15, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default FLARM in Stealth Mode at US 15M/Standard Nationals - Loved It!

On Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 4:31:24 PM UTC-7, wrote:
My idea of compromise is anything that provides awareness of imminent collision while providing no useful tactical information.
If you can see gliders ahead, you know where they think or know the lift is and you can chase them. Adding climb rate and altitude only makes it more useful, attractive and compelling in use.
I flew in Stealth at Mifflin and found it completely satisfactory dealing with oncoming traffic in the ridge(closing speeds 200+).
UH

Hank,

When you say "if you can see gliders ahead" do you mean with Flarm or with your eyes? Is it a problem that pilots can see gliders ahead of them visually and use it for tactical purposes?

It has always seemed a bit unfair to me that the guys with 20/10 vision have a tactical advantage over the guys who can't correct to better than 20/25.. I've found that Flarm levels the playing field a bit so that us guys with crappy vision aren't at such a disadvantage. Flarm really isn't very useful tactically beyond about three to four miles - which is about what the eagle-eyed guys can see. Of course the eagle-eyed guys might like that the bat-eyed are at a disadvantage.

9B