Old February 21st 05, 12:23 AM
Gord Beaman

Default VIDEO: Sea King tailrotor failure during landing on a ship

"Steve R." wrote:

Yup, got that one. It's been around for a while. The darn tail just
couldn't hang in there for 30 more seconds! I'm assuming that the pilot got
the throttle rolled off? Do turbines take as long to spool down as they do
to spool up?

Fly Safe,
Steve R.

"Iwan Bogels" wrote in message
On 05 September 2002 a US Navy Sea King of the Bahrain based HC-2
detachment
"Desert Ducks" suffered a tailrotor failure during the very final stages
of
a deck landing abord a ship. The helicopter started spinning and flipped
over on its side when it hit the deck. Within seconds the Sea King slid of
the deck and plunged into the water, but fortunately according to my
information all five aboard survived without major injuries.

This video will show you just how quickly things can turn nasty when you
experience tailrotor problems.

http://www.dappa.nl/crash.htm

For the aircraft spotters reading this: UH-3H Sea King, BuNo 149684 and
coded HU-744

Anyone know if Dappa archives these weekly choices? I really
liked last week's with the light one landing on the car...
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)