Old April 11th 05, 02:12 PM
Skywise

wrote in :

Snipola
Hi Brian,

I live south east of Los Al in Westminster around the 22 freeway at
Knott.

I'm in Stanton south of Katella between Beach & Western.

I didn't notice planes doing this over the weekend, but I have
seen low flying airliners over the house several times. Most of
the time, these guys seem to be going in to Long Beach. A lot of
the time I noticed this was when they had closed runway 12-30 for
construction over the past year or so, and would land on 25L/25R.
The path you describe sure doesn't sound like LGB, but I thought
I'd bring it up as an option. An odd pattern onto LGB runway 12
maybe?

Looking at the map in my flight sim I see that if they were
to continue due west they could intercept the ILS for 30 at
LGB, but it'd be close to the middle marker. That would make
for a sharp 45 degrees to the right to get lined up on a
short final.

Or they could get 25L/R as you suggest. However, the planes
that I followed all turned to the north. But here in the city
the horizon is so close due to ground clutter that I may not
be seeing them very far. I can see how they could be making a
dogleg to the north to get lined up for 25L/R.

-Tony
p.s. I love that military iron flying the pattern over my house too!

Me too. Back in the early 80's when I was a kid I lived
in Utah for a couple years and we were under the pattern
for Hill AFB. That's where I got hooked. I got to the point
where I could tell you what plane it was and how many there
were just by the sound. I used to watch the F-16's come in
in groups of four and peel off to enter the pattern.

I've always dreamed of getting my license someday but lack
of $$$ get's in the way.

Brian
--
http://www.skywise711.com - Lasers, Seismology, Astronomy