Old August 19th 04, 04:06 AM
G.R. Patterson III

"Peter R." wrote:

Perhaps some type of conversion to an automatic garage door opener?

Garage door openers drive a sprocket that operates a circular chain. Some of the
older units had a block on the chain that tripped a switch when the door was raised.
This block could be adjusted to fine-tune the system. My Genie units do not have
this. I assume (but do not know) that they simply pull the chain for a fixed distance
(most doors are 7' tall).

So. Measure the distance you have to pull your chain to open the hangar door. Work
out the ratio between that and 7'. Rig a reduction gear out of two appropriately
sized pulleys and a belt and drive that from a chain driven by a garage door opener.
You can probably use your existing chain pulley as one pulley in the reduction gear
and mount the whole thing high on the wall.

George Patterson
If you want to know God's opinion of money, just look at the people
he gives it to.