Old September 22nd 16, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

Default Glider Handling Question

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 8:04:30 AM UTC-4, Roy B. wrote:
In this month's Gliding International article on the Ventus 3, Aldo Cernezzi writes, "According to Berd Weber, I flew with a relatively forward CoG, which may have an impact on roll speed". This got me to thinking of my own anecdotal experiences with very forward CGs having a negative impact on roll rate, and I think that a forward CG does degrade the roll rate. But I can't figure out why that happens. Can anybody explain it in simple terms?
ROY

Well, no answer to my initial question which means 1) nobody knows or 2) nobody cares. Or, could be, both. So, I'll advance my own theory: A change in CG also changes and relocates the center of lift (CL). As CL moves forward on the wing away from the ailerons, they become less responsive. As it moves back toward the ailerons they are more responsive. Any other ideas?

ROY