Old June 18th 17, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default A Tale of Two Takeoffs

What John said, even though he had to go and mention "whining" again.

For more discussion (any takers?), see "Glider Handling on Tow" on RAS a few years ago: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.aviation.soaring/%22glider$20handling$20on$20tow%22/rec.aviation.soaring/rxCTVDJnKVc/Qn6gkHnP7EgJ

My number is 60 kts. dry and 70 kts. fully ballasted in a Standard Class glider. Below those numbers, I am VERY uncomfortable and less maneuverable. So add 5 kts. to allow for tow pilots who ease back on the stick after they've climbed up a few hundred feet.

Flapped 15M gliders have a bit more margin. Big ships seem to have still more but I can't speak from experience.

Chip Bearden
"JB"