Old June 18th 17, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default A Tale of Two Takeoffs

This is a great discussion!

Before I retired from towing, my technique was to level off in ground
effect until reaching full towing speed (and note that the glider's
ground effect is deeper than the tug's due to the difference in span)
and then begin a gentle climb at a pitch rate which would preclude a
reduction in airspeed. Some glider pilots like to be towed at 75 KIAS
when fully loaded.

On 6/17/2017 7:32 PM, wrote:
What John said, even though he had to go and mention "whining" again.

For more discussion (any takers?), see "Glider Handling on Tow" on RAS a few years ago: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.aviation.soaring/%22glider$20handling$20on$20tow%22/rec.aviation.soaring/rxCTVDJnKVc/Qn6gkHnP7EgJ

My number is 60 kts. dry and 70 kts. fully ballasted in a Standard Class glider. Below those numbers, I am VERY uncomfortable and less maneuverable. So add 5 kts. to allow for tow pilots who ease back on the stick after they've climbed up a few hundred feet.

Flapped 15M gliders have a bit more margin. Big ships seem to have still more but I can't speak from experience.

Chip Bearden
"JB"

--
Dan, 5J