Old August 8th 04, 10:21 AM
The Enlightenment

Default New WWII movies coming!

"TooPlaneCrazy7" wrote in message
Thanks for your viewpoints. I disagree with Spielberg not showing the
viewpoints of the opposing forces. If you see his "war films" such as

Empire of
the Sun, SPR, and Schlinder's List, you'll see that Spielberg gives the

"enemy"
a human heart. Spielberg treats his characters with nothing short of

respect,
unlike most directors today.

Schindlers list was unmitigated bull despite the 'gravity' and authenticity
with which it was promoted. Schindlers widow said as much and more than a
few people have torn holes in the "facts" in that film.

Schindlers List goes down the highly selective path of 'righeous gentile'
which can only be accomplished by puting your life at risk for a Jew. It is
a holocaust movie not a war movie and it barely relates to the facts
unfortunatly.

I don't see that anywhere that Spielberg give a "human heart" as you say to
any German character in SPR (saving private ryan): He turns the main German
character into a vile treacherous and dishonourable ogre as is to be
expected. As is usual Germans are shown as idiots that have 2/3rds of
their bodies hanging out of a 'crap' poorly simulated "tiger tank" ready to
get shot up like idiots when in fact these tanks did NOT have peep holes for
americans to stick thompson submachine guns into, they opperated in pairs
and hosed of infantry of each other and had Grenade lauchers that fired up
Grenades vertically to clear any infantry on or near the tanks. In 'Band of
Brothers' they are just dumb targets.

Ok I understand that the Allies (Americans) win in the end and are the good
guys (even though some of them weren't) and the Germans not but they are
just another series of americanised, stereoptyped movies in which
characters, history, technology are so modified as to be utterly
meaningless.

It would be better of Spielberg would leave films about Historical events
like this to directors and producers with more integrity and authenticity.

Even "Memphis Bell" missed an opportunity and that is the best of the films.

I'm sick of this rubbish. Taking credit for a British fia't in obtaining
code books from a u-boat is another.

To tell you the truth, I don't think Americans are able to seperate
hollywood hype and historical fact from Hollywood fiction anymore. Some of
that is due to low intelligence and knowledge that we have in all
populations but it seems so widespread and so unchallenged that most of it
is due to Hollywood's lack of authenticity.