Old August 11th 04, 11:40 AM
Cub Driver

On 10 Aug 2004 11:42:15 -0700, (Nick) wrote:

I'll grant you that if you take a film like SPR at face value while
watching it, the message seems to be unclear

Personally, I thought SPR one of the worst movies I'd ever seen, in
the sense that it got everything wrong that was important--and a lot
of unimportant things as well. I would rank it below Pearl Harbor, for
example.

Perhaps what really irritated Art was that Tom Hanks was a 1990s
character suffering all the 1990s hangups, magically transported back
to 1944. He wasn't even my contemporary, never mind Art's. The things
that weighed on his soul just wouldn't have weighed on the soul of
that 1940s captain who'd gone through the Great Depression and the
years leading up to Omaha Beach.

I can't take time to list all the errors in the film. It was the
creation of two men (Spielberg and Hanks) who had never gone through
basic training, so they made every basic error it was possible to
make, based on the war movies they'd seen. It is curious that, given
this history, they were then responsible for what must be one of the
best TV doco-dramas ever made, Band of Brothers.

BOB shows that it is possible to make a decent WWII film, or at least
WWII video. But I'll be that the future lies with such fantasies as
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, in which Jude Law will lead a
merry band of adventurers in Curtiss P-40s--shark faces, yes!--against
alien invaders. I am looking forward to this more than to any film in
the past ten years.
www.warbirdforum.com/skycap.htm

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)