Old January 11th 18, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

Default Debunking the Shock Cooling Myth

There is a line of thinking that most cylinders failures are caused more by Manufacturing issues than anything else.
One way to collect data for this especially when aircraft production was higher was to look at trade-a-plane adds for aircraft that still had factory engines in them. As I recall for a while it was pretty easy to see that certain years of C-210's rarely went over 500hrs without a top overhaul. I believe you can still see this with Franklin engines in Stinsons.

As the fleet ages and aircraft are on the 2nd, 3rd or more engines it is harder to see patterns like this, as it is hard to collect data on who made the cylinders and when they were made.

On the other hand I love engine monitors and prefer to treat the engines nicely when practical to do so.