Old March 5th 04, 04:20 AM
Richard Lamb

Tim Ward wrote:

"Richard Lamb" wrote in message
A unique solution for airplanes _without_ electrical systems

After a couple of long cross countries in slow OLD airplanes,
we've come up with a novel solution for handling hand held radios.

Flying with a hand held can be a little more interesting that with
built in radios.

First, there is a lot more to a com system than just the hand held.

Power. AA batteries in a hand held radio do not last long transmitting.
Headsets are necessary.
Intercom box, Noise canceling box!,
Lots of spaghetti wiring strung all over the cockpit...

On a whim I bought a nice blue diaper bag at Wall Mart for $9.95.

A 7 amp-hr gell cell goes in first.
This battery will last for several days on a charge, depending on how
much transmitting is done. Leo's is a 12 AH version that fits the bag
width perfectly.

snip

You didn't mention it, so I thought I would. Fuses. Fuse that battery right
at the terminals. An easy way is to put a couple of female quick-disconnects
(just like you use to connect to the battery) on the shortest piece of wire
you can manage.
Then plug that onto the battery, plug a blade-type auto fuse of the
appropriate size into the other end, and what used to go onto the battery
onto the other blade of the fuse.
Now, when something shorts, life won't be nearly so exciting. The spare
fuses also go in the bag, of course.

Tim Ward

We've talked about it, but didn't think of the blade types...
Hmmm...