Old March 31st 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting

Default UAV's and TFR's along the Mexico boarder

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 18:12:46 GMT, "John Doe"
wrote in . net::

Personally I think a NOTAM saying when/where the UAVs will be should be
enough for VFR pilots to avoid the thing. Why do we need a TFR?

Federal regulations require the pilots of _ALL_ aircraft to
see-and-avoid. UAVs are currently unable to comply with that
regulation.

The UAV creates a hazard to flight safety, but takes no responsibility
for that hazard. It's bad enough with the way the FAA has implemented
MTRs in the NAS. We don't want that precedent to be further
established.

AOPA ePilot Volume 8, Issue 13 March 31, 2006

AOPA ALERTS CONGRESS ABOUT UAV THREAT TO GA OPERATIONS
Government and private industry want to expand the use of unmanned
aerial vehicles (UAVs) in domestic airspace. And although the FAA has
been considering the issue for more than 15 years, the agency has yet
to find a way to protect civilian aircraft from UAV midairs, except to
restrict airspace or require manned chase planes. That's an
unacceptable situation, AOPA said Wednesday before the House aviation
subcommittee of the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee. "We
request the subcommittee to press the FAA for expeditious action on
UAV regulations," AOPA Executive Vice President of Government Affairs
Andy Cebula told the subcommittee. "Neither an accident between UAVs
and manned aircraft, nor the implementation of flight restrictions, is
acceptable." Pilots have told AOPA that they are concerned about UAVs'
inability to detect and avoid other aircraft, and their inability to
respond immediately to air traffic control instructions. See AOPA
Online
( http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsite...060329uav.html ).