Old September 9th 08, 05:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mike[_22_]

Default contact terminology?

"paul kgyy" wrote in message
ATC: airplane 67Z, "traffic westbound at your 2 o'clock, 5000 feet"

Now, if I see the traffic, it's "airplane 67Z has the traffic"

Actually the correct phrase is "airplane 67Z traffic in sight", although few
controllers are going to care either way.

What if I don't have it visually, but it shows up on my traffic
display? I've heard stuff like "yep, got 'im on the fishfinder" but
I'm wondering if there is a standard "official" response?

there's also the thought that if you don't have it visually, you don't
really "have it" - i.e. the electronic display does not provide as
good separation info as actually seeing the traffic with your Mark 1
eyeball.

As has already been posted, the pilot-controller glossary will usually have
the answer to these types of questions. Another excellent publication to
keep by the commode is the ATC order 7110.65. Although it's certainly not
required reading for pilots, it's very handy to have because with it you can
also see what may be coming next.
http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraff.../media/ATC.pdf

For instance, when the controller issues traffic, and you have the traffic
in sight, one thing you can include is...

"airplane 67Z traffic in sight, will maintain visual separation".

The reason is because if you don't include it, the next instruction from the
controller might be "maintain visual separation" and you will have to
acknowledge that instruction. So it makes both of your jobs easier by
including it in your first response.

Personally I dearly love to use the phrase, "got 'im on the fishfinder"
because it's just one of those very cool pilot phrases that scores you
points with just about everyone. Everyone that is except the controller who
will find it about as welcome as a fart in church. The controller has
without a doubt heard it quite a few times so the novelty has long since
worn off and it conveys no useful information to them.