Old December 5th 06, 12:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
PPSEL-student

Default First plane

I see no body suggested the C182. Now like Jay's pathfinder the 182 is a
true 4 adults plus baggage airplane. Fly's very similar to a 172 although a
little heavier feel to the controls than a 172 and there is LOT"S of them
out there for sale right now. I used to love flying my fathers 182, was a
dream to fly and I could take my freinds up for a weekend trip to anywhere
(almost)

"fred" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm a newbie working on getting a PPL.
People tell me that if I'm serious about flying, I should seriously
look into purchasing a plane - in the long run it'll be cheaper than
renting.

If I buy (used, of course, but I'm open to the possibility of
joint ownerships/partnerships),
I'd need something that seats 4 adults and a small amount of luggage.
Expected useage would be trips of a few hundred to about 500 miles.

I'm learning in a Cessna 152. My gut tells me that I'd like something
with a bit more speed than a C172, but I'm not seeking a high
performance aircraft.
High wing vs low wing is not a major issue.
Cost could be an issue.

What I seek is a table laying out performance and
payload characteristics for your basic single engine prop planes.

So what is the airplane equivalent of a Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic?

Thanks in advance.