Old August 21st 04, 09:26 PM
Guy Alcala

"Thomas J. Paladino Jr." wrote:

"u don't have to know" wrote in message
What happen to obsolete weapons as AIM-7 Sparrow which have been replaced

by
AIM-120 ?
Destroyed or stored ?

Thierry

I think that the AIM-7 is still being used, and is being slowly phased out
in favor of the AIM-120. They built so many of them, I doubt that they're
going to scrap the whole lot until AIM-120 production numbers reach the
AIM-7, or until they become completely useless, whichever comes first.

It's more a question of their use-by dates. Rocket motors, warheads, batteries
etc. all have guaranteed shelf lifes. Once those are exceeded the rounds are
considered unsafe and either need to have the relevant components replaced
(often tedious and expensive) or they need to be destroyed.

If we can sell excess older missiles with useful remaining life left to an
(approved) air force, we probably would; otherwise there's typically a Shootex
to get rid of them before they become time-expired. The Brits did this on a
large scale with their F-4s, when the F-4 units were given all the AIM-7Es that
were in the UK inventory (Tornados could only use Skyflash, while the F-4 could
use either). Many of the missiles were approaching their expiration dates, so
every day was Guy Fawkes day for a while, to use up as many as they could.

It would certainly be possible to store the GCUs, but probably not worthwhile
unless we were also willing to put the airframes/motors/warheads back into
production. We may keep some around for war reserves if they've got useful
life remaining, but otherwise probably not. Depends when the last AIM-7 was
produced for US stocks.

Guy