Old September 29th 03, 06:30 AM
Al

You typically do not use a mask with an EDS its a canular based system.

If you breath out of you mouth then the EDS will not get the pressure change
to fire off its next shot of O2

So in order to achive this you have to remember to exhale through your nose.
The latest version of the EDS will sound a warning if you have not had a
proper breathing cycle in X nunber of mins depending on your altitude.

I suspect people earlier in this thread saying they do not have it work for
them are exhaling by their mouths.

Al

"dennis brown" wrote in message
ink.net...
You've touched on the shortcoming of the system. There is no
indication of actual flow to the mask (I am assuming the mask as the
worst case). Red/Green indicators are worse than worthless because
they may decrease the delivery.

Use an pulse oximeter with the system.

In article , "dusty"
wrote:
I have had occasional problems. My breathing does not always activate the
sensor so that no squirt of oxygen is receive. I had the experience of
flying most of the afternoon at over 17k and noticing toward the end that

felt like I had hypoxia. But I would take a breath and look at the EDS

and
get the green light so everything seemed ok.

I do not hear too well at certain frequencies. But during the afternoon I
kept hearing (barely) a buzzing. Finally I realized that my EDS was

saying
that there was a problem.

After some investigation after landing, I realized that when I would

'check'
the EDS by inhaling, the inhalation was slightly larger than my normal
breathing. This would activate the EDS. My normal breathing does not

always
activate the EDS.

Changing the cannulus and tubing seems to helps for the first time or two
but then it begins not always noticing my inhalation.

I do have to use a sleep apnea machinge. Maybe there is some

relationship.

Later I notice
"Simon Waddell" wrote in message
Christmas is a-comin' etc. and I'm thinking of replacing my old A14

diluter
demand system with a Mountain High EDS system. The A14 hasn't been

used
for
years; now I'm living in the mountains I want something I know I can

trust

Can I trust the EDS system? Anybody out there got anything good or bad

say about it? Should I swap my old steel bottle for a new one - if so,
aloominum or kevlar? I like the idea of the canular - is it reliable?