Old December 28th 05, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Interesting experience yesterday

Paul Folbrecht wrote:

Thoughts on all this? Other than the obvious?

Really, you have three options: Park your airplane until April, Only fly
on VFR days, or develop a plan that you will only fly in IMC on those days
where you have an out. Don't forget that doing a 180 and returning is one
form of an out, if needed.

How I wish we could have a much better idea of where that ice is gonna be.

Have you tried the icing predictions at ADDs?

http://adds.aviationweather.noaa.gov/icing/

(click the radio button to correspond to your time in the clouds, then the
altitude level on the left to see the icing predictions. A bit more
detailed than the generalized airmet Zulu.)

Also, from what I have read in the latest issue of IFR Magazine, early 2006
there will be a much more detailed icing forecast to replace the
broad-brushed airmet Zulu. This will certainly be helpful in your case.

--
Peter