Old November 30th 09, 07:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb[_2_]

Default visualisation of the lift distribution over a wing

Alan Baker wrote:
In article ,
"Morgans" wrote:

"Alan Baker" wrote
Anyone who thinks that the pressure of a fluid on a surface can act in
any direction but towards the surface is simply wrong.

I see. You are not lookng at the wing as a system, but taking an
observation at one point only, without reguard to what is happening around
it.

Point made.

Nope.

I'm making the point that the upper surface contributes absolutely *no*
lifting force.

None.

Zero.

In fact, it provides a downward force. Every time.

Sorry, Alan, old boy, I find must disagree.

In actuality, BOTH surfaces are below ambient pressure.
('splain why?)

But without that reduction of the pressure across the top curve of the wing,
the pressure below it can't do much at all, can it?