View Single Post
Old April 15th 15, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle
external usenet poster

Default PowerFlarm Update Problem

My PowerFlarm doesn't want to update.

The last time I used it was in Feb 2015, and all was well. Today I loaded PF6.02_7592.fw and my configuration file FLARMcfg.txt onto the USB thumb drive that I have used with my PF since 2012. Thumb drive was put into the PF USB, turned on the power, the LED on the PF showed amber, then changed to green, then turned red. On the Butterfly 57 mm display I saw a yellow triangle with an exclamation point in it, superimposed over the red Butterfly and the red TX and GPS boxes, plus the words "Flarm error! Old Firmware". I waited 0.5 hours, nothing else happened.

Turned off the power for a minute or so until the Butterfly display turned grey, then turned it on again. Same color changes with the PF LED, the only difference was at the end the Butterfly display showed "Configuring PowerFlarm" and there was no red Butterfly and the red TX and GPS boxes. Waited another 0.5 hours, nothing else happened.

Tried both steps again after an hour using a different USB thumb drive, freshly formatted to FAT, same story.

Seems to me that either (1) my PowerFlarm has suddenly decided it won't read any USB thumb drives, or (2) it is impossible to upgrade a PowerFlarm from last years firmware after 31 March 2015.

Question - Has anyone been successful in upgrading a PowerFlarm from last year's firmware during the month of April 2015?

-John, Q3

PS - Richard is involving PowerFlarm for me. I'm just trying to find out if others have had the same experience.