Old May 7th 05, 02:20 PM

Ron Garret wrote:

In article ,
A Lieberman wrote:

Last week, I was doing approaches in actual IMC, and returning back to MBO
(Madison, MS), I broke out right at minimum ceilings 4.8 miles DME from the
JAN VOR. Ceilings were just above 900 feet. Missed minimums are 5 DME an
900 feet ceilings (NOTAM raised it from 860 to 900).

The approach takes you into a 45 degree entry for downwind for runway 17 or
midfield for 35 circle to approach. There was a plane at the end of
taxiway 35 waiting for his clearance for take off.

This got me to thinking.....

Had I broke out of the clouds at mid field at 5 DME from the JAN VOR, what
would be the proper procedure for landing on 35? Winds were blowing from
340 at 21 knots gusting to 29 knots. Airport has a left hand pattern.

Would it be "acceptable" to cross mid field and execute a right hand
pattern entry? No noise abatement issues at this airport.

Yep. You can do anything you need to to get on the ground when you're
finishing a circle-to-land approach.

rg

Provided there is no restriction to circling and provided you remain within the
circling maneuvering area for your approach category. At this airport for
someone not familiar with the area, electing Cat D minimums would be a prudent
plan provided that got you clear of clouds with adequate visibility.