Old September 7th 03, 04:57 AM
Steve P

On 9/6/2003 8:23 PM after considerable forethought, Stan Gosnell wrote:
"Stuart King" wrote
in :

Thats what i thought too, so i went on into hase and then
announced N123 left base for 9, hoping they would clear me
to land (trying to be polite and not say please clear me to
land) and I got my head bit off because I was only cleared
for a downwind for 9.

Sounds like a poor controller who got behind or something.
Unless he specifically told me he'd call my base, I'd turn base
at the appropriate place. IMO if the controller doesn't want
you to turn base until he clears you to, he should tell you
that. Normal procedure is to make the base at the normal place,
to avoid delaying the other traffic.

I think you need to let the controller know when you are in downwind.
I've been told to enter left downwind when 10 miles out.