Old August 27th 04, 01:25 AM
Ben Jackson

In article m,
Wizard of Draws wrote:
I have my logbook duplicated in Excel, but now that I've added my instrument
rating, it might be nice to have Excel keep track of my currency on
approaches. Maybe flag a cell as red or green depending upon my status...

I'd make a cell somewhere with the cutoff date for approaches, which is:

=DATE(YEAR(TODAY()), MONTH(TODAY())-6, 1)

(Excel seems to tolerate negative months and compensates correctly)
You can name that cell CUTOFF by putting the name in the box to the
left of the formula entry (the box will normally have the name of the
cell as A1 or whatever). You can put this cell on another sheet in the
same workbook.

Then add a column like =IF(A1 = CUTOFF, B1, 0) where A is the column
with the date of the flight and B1 is the number of approaches. Then
the sum of this column is the number of approaches after the cutoff.
Then you can hide that column so it doesn't clutter the display.

You could do something similar for landing currency. Figuring the cutoff
is easier since it's a straight 90 days (and in Excel dates are numbers
where 1.0 = 1 day). It's just =TODAY()-90.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/