Old September 27th 07, 08:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default S.N.A.F.U.

Ray Andraka wrote:
Anyway, the harness problem appears to be a bad crimp on the pins JPI
put on. I had to get a pin extractor tool ($6.80 from mouser plus $5
shipping) to get the pins out, and now I've got to cut the bad one off
and crimp a new pin on ($.18 from mouser). I have to find the right
crimp tool first (new ones are ~$150).

That's something that has always annoyed me about connectors with loose
pins. The crimping tools are always priced for manufacturers that are
going to make a hundred crimps a week, not for repair work where you
need to make a couple of crimps a month.

It might pay to ask around locally - you might be able to find an
contract electronic assembly company, or a small local engineering shop
or manufacturer that has the official crimp tool. You then offer to
come by on Friday afternoon, drop off $150 cash and a case of beer (or
whatever), and pick up the tool. On Monday morning you return the tool
and get your $150 back.

Matt Roberds