Old September 3rd 08, 06:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Chris J

Default Too Old?

Had to jump in on this one too. I have a good friend at my airport, Jon
Weiss, who is currently 89 depending on which day you ask him. He retired
from American when the new on the 707's hadn't worn off yet! He has a pace
maker and still has a medical, is a CFI (still does BFR's and tailwheel
checkouts), and an IA. He's at the airport every day or so and still flies
at least every couple of weeks. Just finished restoring a Fairchild 22 he's
owned since the early 50's. Got bored after that and bought a cub that
needed some TLC. He has a Super Cub, Fairchild 22, J-3, and a Beech Travel
Air. I fly with him occasionally and he's still got it. Last year while
flying a Champ for a friend of ours who wasn't tailwheel current, the engine
locked up between airports. He put it in a pretty short field without a
scratch. I'd fly with him anywhere, any time.
Hell I'm 35 and would be happy to have his energy and enthusiasm most days!
He isn't gonna win a marathon, but he still drives, flies, and works on his
own airplanes, and all competently as I see it. I could drop dead just as
easily as he could. If you're still able in mind and body, and doing it on
a personal, not for hire basis, I say keep em flying!
And a few months ago, he renewed the lease on his hangar. He said he didn't
want to take any chances, so he signed a 25 year lease!! Hell, he may make
it!
CJ