Old April 8th 12, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chip Bearden[_2_]

Default Schempp-Hirth 2a/2b cockpit fit vs ASW-20?

There's only so much you can learn from other pilots' reports of
cockpit size. A friend flew an original Ventus A happily even though
he was only a few inches shorter than my 6' 3". I couldn't even fit
into a Ventus B. The key was that he was long legs/short torso. Glad
to hear the V2c is much longer. I recall Rick Walters' "headrest"
chute he used in his Discus.

Another very important factor is the parachute; all thinpacks are not
created equal. With my relatively long torso height, I need a chute
that's thin behind the shoulders and thick in the lumbar region. Most
thinpacks seem to be evenly thick or the opposite of what I need. The
Softie Wedge model is one exception and allows me to recline more and
thus gain some headroom. As with the cockpit itself, the only way to
really tell for certain is to try it on.

Finally, with some gliders, you can make changes in the cockpit. Quite
a few pilots removed the backrest from the ASW 19/20 to fly more
comfortably. My own ASW 24 was altered at the factory to delete the
backrest, swap the factory instrument panel for an aftermarket one
with higher knee cutouts, and move the pedals forward a few cm. Much
of this could be done by the owner.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
USA