Old August 31st 12, 08:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dylan Smith[_2_]

Default Hello? Any oldtimers around?

On 2012-08-29, MJ wrote:
The 406 MHz ELBs will, in many many models, use instrument GPS for their
statement of position rather than a separate ELB built-in unit. Is there
a (removable) tablet that is FAA-approved for such installations?

Are handhelds approved for this purpose? Note we're talking about the
handheld market here, not the IFR approved TSO'd units.

In any case I would want a beacon with the GPS actually built into it.
Connectors are something that are likely to fail in a crash. (I also
don't live in the US - there's no requirement for an ELT or any such
device where I live, but since any cross country I do requires me to fly
over around 60nm of open water, we have a beacon that is portable and
floats. Not much point in having one permanently affixed to the airframe
as it would go down with the ship during a ditching).