Old June 10th 17, 04:17 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom BravoMike View Post
I would think that any institution we deal with, FAA, SSA, EAA, AOPA etc,. etc. should take with highest level of seriousness any remark concerning safety made by a pilot and based on his/her life-threatening experience in flight, member or not.

Several years ago when flying their LS-4 at Soar Minden I was in a situation after landing where the wheel brake, activated by pushing both rudder pedals, seemingly didn't work on a roll-out. I was happy I didn't hit any one on the tarmac. I quickly found out that you have to push with your HEELS, and not FEET. I reported my observation to their instructor with a reference to a possible wrong translation in the glider's Flight Manual, which I had studied before the flight. Some time later checking their web site I was pleased and grateful to see they had reacted and put a proper remark in the manual. The German original reads: "wird mit den Absätzen bedient". I just found the English manual for the LS-4A on-line, and it reads correctly now: "Press rudder pedals with heels to activate wheel brake" - so it must have been amended officially.

Just an example of a proper concern instead of a denial.

Tom BravoMike
I would think the same Tom but apparently the SSA is less concerned with safety and more concerned with who is and who is not a member of the club. But for that matter every club and commercial operation out there still flying with Schweizer hooks and release handles not immediately accessable by the tow pilot are not concerned with safety either.

Walt