Old September 21st 07, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Departure Procedure jStumper Question

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 05:52:54 -0700, B wrote:

The AIM tells you that ATC assigns speeds in terms of IAS.

It also tells you that the speed for procedure turns is in terms of IAS.

What about the speed limits on STAR charts?

All good points, and from others too. However I wasn't asking about
atc speeds. and the speed for procedure turns is not on the chart,
although I'm not arguing about that aim specified limit.

My query was about speeds listed on jeppessen charts. And I see
approach categories are referenced to IAS as a poster has noted. But
on the same chart where approach category minimums are stated, there
is also often a descent from faf chart that is noted as in GS. Now
sure, it's easy for "experts" say of course it's GS, (as noted on the
chart) since distance and time cannot equal IAS, so that's obvious.

But look at the case of the departure in the initial thread. The same
argument "that's obvious" can be made for GS, since the obstacle
clearance is based on a specified turn radius plus safety factor, and
clearly GS determines radius assuming a constant bank angle and not
IAS. Remember there is no annotation on the dept (jepp chart) on
whether it's ias tas or GS. And for the sake of this argument let's
not consider the notam (which specifies ias) in this hypothetical
case.

Are there other speeds on charts where it is not specified whether it
is IAS TAS or GS?