Old June 1st 04, 02:44 PM
Andreas Parsch

Prowlus wrote:

Does anyone know why the allies didn't consider using their air
lauched rockets as air-to-air weapons during the war when the jets
started appearing? I thought it would have been a good idea to ward
off any attack from ME-262s or me-163s which were too fast to attack
with guns.

It may have to do with the fact that shooting down a 550+ mph jet
fighter with unguided, relatively slow (~ Mach 1), short-range rockets
is much harder than doing it with a stream of bullets. In Korea,
bullets were good enough to bring down quite a lot of fast jets!

Andreas