Old November 29th 16, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Default Another sad day - 1-26 champ Bob Von Hellens has sailed into the sunset

On Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 10:56:14 AM UTC-6, Bob T wrote:
I received notice this morning that longtime SSA and ASA member and 1-26 national champ passed away on 11/27/2016. A celebration of his life will be held in late January (further information will be forthcoming) and according to his wishes, in late spring he will be interred in Arlington National Cemetery.

I can remember the days back when I was a hang glider pilot and a fellow hang glider pilot Kevin (called Fish by his friends)was crewing for Bob, and every few weeks was bubbling over with excitement over Bob's latest escapade in his new LS-3 that had such incredible performance. And, when I got into soaring it was always a tradition that the Arizona Soaring Association held their annual Christmas party and annual meeting at Bob and Susan's home in Paradise Valley. It was quite the party house and the event was always the best. When celebration of life info is known I'll post that.

Rest in peace my friend.

I had the pleasure of flying a few contests with Bob and shared a few meals with him too. Super nice guy and in a 1-26 I knew that if I was with him I was doing pretty good.

Tailwinds Bob...