Old August 2nd 03, 04:18 AM
Aaron Kiley

Years of training is abour right. Most of the people I know who have got
instrument ratings (me included) took at least a year. We have jobs and
can't afford to do it all at once. Then once you get your checkride over
you usually have minimal experience in actual IFR conditions. It takes
years to get good at it no doubt. To get proficent at IFR also requires you
get your pilots licence first which takes just as long as the instrument
rating. ... Aaron

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"henri Arsenault" wrote in message
Hmmm, OK...How long does it take from scratch for a pilot to train as
an passenger airline pilot for a major airline?

It varies widely. Some of the bigger flight schools have two-year "ab
initio" programs, I believe. Some airline pilots take a less structured
route, and have as much as a decade of flying (or more) under the belt
before an airline hires them.

Not that airline pilots have anything to do with your comment.

How many hours of training does it take a novice before he is qualified
to solo in the worst IFR conditions?

You have to define "novice". A private pilot in the US needs only 40

hours
of instrument training before they are granted a rating that allows them

fly in the worst IFR conditions. You can, of course, debate whether they
are truly "qualified", but once you start equivocating on that, you've

gone
down a very slippery road.

The fact remains that plenty of people "correctly" fly IFR with much less
than a year of training.

Pete