Old December 8th 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Will Deatrick

Default Why Is the S-3 Viking Called a Hoover?

I've never heard the TF-34 starting up. Does it make that same
thrumming sound in the video, or is it a different sound altogether?

And thanks for the info on the engines being so close to the deck :-)

Will

In article , Charlie Wolf
wrote:

There's a secondary reason why it's lovingly referred to as a Hoover.

The ducted fan TF-34's are located very close to the deck. At full
power, they will suck just about any FOD into the duct. Just like a
vacuum cleaner.

However, the nickname came from the sound of the TF-34's on startup.
Regards,

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 19:57:19 -0800, Will Deatrick
wrote:

Because the unique sound made by the engines resembles a Hoover vacuum
cleaner to some. My wife and I were walking the beach near the Hotel
Del in 1998 when a Viking flew overhead on approach to NAS North
Island, San Diego. You can hear the strange sound in this video. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FRJfBW_GQI