Old January 19th 05, 11:37 AM
Dave S

Think about it like this..

The VOR and DME are TWO SEPARATE radios and nav systems. They are on
different frequency bands, different transmitters and the only
assiciation that they may have is 1) being in the same transmitter
building and 2) being "paired" frequency wise with a VOR/ILS frequency.

For instance, every DME frequency is "assigned" a corresponding VOR
frequency to buddy-up to it. That way you dont have to know, and tune,
the UHF frequency that the DME operates at. You simply set your DME
reciever to "slave" to your VOR/NAV radio to get the selected frequency
pair assignment or you can tune the DME manually to the VHF "VOR"
frequency of the pair

The same frequency pairing exists for Localizer + Glideslope
installation. You tune the localizer.. the radio is set up to look for
the glideslope signal on a separate but assigned/paired frequency.

The VOR Idents occur regularly.. every 10 seconds or so.. and are heard
by using the VOR ident function on your radio/audio panel.

The DME idents occur regularly but every 30 seconds or so. They are
heard using the separate DME ident function on your radio/audio panel.

As others have said, if you monitor BOTH simultaneously you will hear
one "higher pitched" DME ident for every three "lower pitched" VOR idents.

If one is inop, the other signal and functionality is not affected.
Again, the only thing that the two share is a site, and the "pairing" of
two different bands on two different frequencies.

My home base, EFD, used to have a terminal VORTAC but had the VOR
function decommissioned. The TACAN remains, and the DME function of the
TACAN is tuneable by tuning the DME to its "VOR frequency pair" of 109.4
mhz.

Dave

Peter wrote:
"david" wrote:

Oops, sorry...VOR VOR VOR DME, VOR VOR VOR DME!

the VOR idents every ten seconds, the DME every 30. So you should
hear...VOR, VOR,DME, VOR, VOR, DME et seq. every minute.

Is this true if one is using an intercom which has TWO buttons for
idents; one marked DME and the other marked NAV?

I don't understand how a DME ident can be (as a general rule)
incorporated into the VOR signal. One can have a DME without a VOR (an
ILS, or a TACAN). I can ident the DME on an ILS even if tuned to a
wrong ILS frequency (the DME on an ILS has a different ident from the
ILS anyway) and as far as I can remember from flying in Greece I can
ident the DME in a TACAN even though I can't receive the VOR part
because it's on UHF.

Peter.
E-mail replies to but remove the X and the Y.