Old December 12th 03, 07:03 AM
soarski

(Steve B) wrote in message . com...
Yikes...

I asked tower guy about operating out of a Class D Airport and he
mentioned something... the only part I caught was "and the Horse I
rode in on".

His comments were that with operations continuous for the entire day
that he did not like the idea of inconveniencing the passengers and or
commercial operations.

The airport is in Kona Hawaii and we get a Jet about once every 20
minutes. I suggested that I would be of no greater impact than the
airforce tanker that does touch and goes for practice quite
frequently.

I asked him that if it would be possible to sequence for a non
motorized landing and then power up for taxi. He did not like the
idea... I asked him if he thought that landing on the Taxi way would
be an option - the taxi way is huge and would be ideal... (helicopters
and an ultralight land on the taxi way) he did not like that idea.

He is not welcoming the idea and also wanted to know if I had
collision lights, he thought that it would be necessary to operate at
the airport? Are Collision lights necessary for Class D?

Any body been able to do not powered landings in Class D? I would like
to present a proposal to the tower on a way to operate out of the
airport that would be acceptable to the administration of the
facility.

Has anybody proposed a glider or motorglider operation on a single
runway location or Class D airfield?

Thanks

Yes, I have done so for decades, with relatively heavy traffic. Until
1995 we were even towing here! A fleet of 7 Gliders.

Sugestion: Make sure your radio is working well and that you know
how to use it in that environment. Then offer to operate your glider
as a powered aircraft initially. With most selflaunchers, that's
possible. You may have to teach yourself how to do that, also to be
able to roll off the runway, power on or power off. I usually land
with out power, but the tower knows, that I will claer the runway for
sure rolling out.

I have never taken advantage of our right away. When I land power off,
I call in, on a high upwind or x-wind and ask to be # 1 or #2 , at
that time seeing and knowing all the traffic.

Once you have their trust they enjoy working with you. The lights are
not required. What do you fly?

Good Luck!