Old January 8th 04, 08:26 AM
Steve B

Thank you for your comments... exactly what I am looking for...
specific examples of motorglider operating at a Towered Airport with a
single runway. I would like to use your example in a proposal that I
am preparing.

Recently I have received some help for the FSDO with my efforts. I am
trying to put together a proposal to submit to the parties in the
decision making process.

I need to give them some specific examples of locations where
motorgliders are operated at airports that have a single runway It
will also be helpful to include the mix of airline traffic.

And yes I intend to be (In the propeller driven mode) while in Class D
airspace.

Now for the rest of the story...

I live here in Hawaii and find your experience with the Stemme in Maui
quite humorous. To add to your story... (This is totally fictional of
course) At the time the Stemme was in Maui I was flying back and forth
from the Big Island to my office in Maui in my Mooney... I did not
meet the fellow that had the Stemme but in talking to some friends I
was told the the Stemme driver was not familiar with powered aircraft
procedures, I believe that he came from a hang gliding background and
was not familiar with the class C airspace. Because he was a very
accomplished and well know pilot in the hang gliding community and the
fact that the guy in the Tower was a glider owner. A message was
posted in the tower to the effect of... when he wants to go flying...
try and keep him away from the other planes. (end of fictious story)

Thanks again for the information... it is a big help to have the
example of your experience in Aspen.

Steve B aka Mr. Prindle

(soarski) wrote in message . com...
(Chuck) wrote in message . com...
(Steve B) wrote in message . com...
Yikes...

I asked tower guy about operating out of a Class D Airport and he
mentioned something... the only part I caught was "and the Horse I
rode in on".

********
No federally funded airport may arbitrarily deny request for use.

Check with the Ultralight guys who operate from there they will know.

SO! I dug up this month old thread, where Mr. Prindle asked us before,
and we gave him advice. Not good enough?

When I was still flying a Grob Twin IIISL out of our very busy Aspen
airport, which probably does not handle as well on the ground as the
ASH 26 E, I used to do high speed taxis, fast enough so I had aileron
Control and taxi wings level!

One day I was following an executive jet on the long taxiway, who was
taxiing much slower than me. The Lady ground controller comes on and
says: Jet so and so, could you speed up your taxi, aircraft behind
you needs higher taxi speed. I had their trust and still have it!

This is a sgl. runway airport!

Kahului airport for a short time had a Stemme giving rides stationed
there. I always wanted to see the Island from above so I bought a
ride! BTW We climbed to 11500 and I said, this should be high enough
to glide to the big island? So we did, no power! Over the Pacific
listening to each other's life stories. There we climbed to 14000,
sight seeing the peak, and then...final glide to Kahului! Fine...But
the pilot did not turn on the engine before entering the pattern, and
he almost cut out an airliner, with poor radio procedures. I warned
the pilot that he could not expect to fly into that airport. Power
off!

The Operation did not last much longer! Possibly the reason why it is
so difficult to get going for you now? Do you intend to operate your
motorglider like a power plane while in th D airspace?

BTW I always enter the airspace from above!