Old October 21st 03, 08:34 PM
Snowbird

"John R. Copeland" wrote in message .. .
St. Louis approach does the same at STL for westbound arrivals to SUS.

Westbound, generically?

I Don't Think So.

If you're approaching from the NE (ie you are SW bound) they will
often swing you a little to the west and take you over the top of Lambert.
Usually at 4-5000 ft IME. Basically if your direction of flight takes
you to the N of ALN.

OTOH if you're approaching from due E (ie course 270) or from the
SE (ie course NW) you're going to get the wide-around way to the
S if you're IFR because you're not just directly impacting the
departure/arrival corridor for STL, you're impacting the IFR
arrivals and departures from Parks and MidAmerica and Alton.

If they are actually taking you over the top of Lambert at 1500
ft, be advised that you are going to pop out of the class B
well before you get to SUS, and you'll either be right in the thick
of the E-W VFR corridor S. of Hwy 40 (I-64) or if you're further
to the W, like W of 270, you're going to be flying through the
N-S traffic corridor into 1H0 which is quite busy on weekends
and quite often NORDO or monitoring 1H0 Unicom. Usually flying
1500-1700 ft to stay under the approach path into SUS. Keep
both eyes peeled and cultivate a neck like an owl.

Cheers,
Sydney

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
(Snowbird) wrote:
If your flight path is perpendicular to their arrival and
departure stream, right over the airport at 4-6k might work
OK.

Or lower. I've had NY Approach bring me right over the center of
LaGuardia at 1500 with a steady stream of jets landing and departing
right below me. Pretty cool.