Old July 23rd 08, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
John[_9_]

Default Lycoming GO-480??

On Jul 20, 3:52*pm, wrote:
I am considering purchasing an aircraft with a Lycoming GO-480. *Does
anyone have any current experience with how supportable a GO-480 is?
I know they are used on some Seabees and Beech aircraft.

thanks,
ted

About ten years ago we did a little work on a Twin Bonanza that
involved engine work. I was told by one of the best overhaul shops on
the East Coast that they wouldn't overhaul a GO-480. At that time
certain parts in the reduction gearing that were supposed to be
replaced at overhaul were not available anywhere. I can't imagine
that the situation has gotten any better now. There a few specialty
shops that will overhaul them. Another thing I remember about them
was a pressure carburetor; outside of tech school have never seen one
before or since. I would look first for a mechanic with experience on
the engine before I would make a decision to buy the plane.

John Dupre'