Old July 30th 08, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike[_22_]

Default Ethanol Free Car Gas

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
On Jul 25, 9:34 pm, "Mike" wrote:

I believe the EAA sells a sampling cup that detects any alcohols in
fuel. I assume you could use that to verify the claim of any
particular station.

-Robert

Exactly, but all you need is one of those sporty's fuel testers and a cork.
Or you could use a rain gauge, a test tube, or just about any clear vessel
that can be corked (preferably with a lid or a rubber cork). Baby jars work
fine, although I prefer a tall narrow vessel. Just draw a line an inch off
the bottom or so with a permanent marker, fill with water to the line, add
twice as much fuel, cork it, shake the hell out of it, stand it upright and
wait 5 minutes. Any alcohol present will combine with the water and settle
to the bottom. If it exceeds the line you have alcohol in the fuel.