Old May 12th 18, 07:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Default Club Class gliders and Handicaps in Polish Nationals June 2018

On Wednesday, 9 May 2018 18:00:07 UTC+3, Paul T wrote:
At 14:44 09 May 2018, Paul T wrote:

The FAI Club classs list is at
https://www.fai.org/sites/default/files/sc3ah_2018a.pdf .

The new 'silly list' designed by guys with no common sense- based on
some asinine theory which ignores 20-30 years of RL competition
performance comparison.

Are they really still using this handicap list for the Worlds? Better ge

an SZD55 if you want to win then..... - notice the Poles have, and are
not flying the usual Brawo/Jantar Std 3. Wouldn't want to be flying a
Mosqiuto though.

P.S. a SZD55 in good condition can p.ss all over a Discus.

I have flown Discus in a team with friend flying 55 (several nationals + international comps). We found out that when gliders have no bugs, Discus has very small advantage, but during day 55 goes better and better (we did not have bug wipers those times). When it started to rain, 55 disappeared forward and up, Discus did not stand a chance. But to be honest, 95% of the time there was no difference between gliders. When flown dry 55 suffers a bit from very low empty weight (at least those first gliders from early 90's), it climbs like a balloon but I think 30-40 kg of water is needed unless you just try to stay airborne.