Old September 8th 05, 10:26 PM
Hilton

Peter Clark wrote:

I was taught to time an ILS because there are places like BED (ILS 11
or 29) where without a GPS you can't ID the missed approach point if
the glideslope fails without timing the approach.

I can't believe people still discuss this issue. Firstly, timing an
approach takes a fraction of a second - simply push a button. Secondly, if
you time every approach it becomes part of your checklist, your routine etc.
Thirdly, as you point out, what the heck do you do (can you do) if you're in
IMC on an ILS and your GS fails? You're screwed and only luck will save
your butt (it may be less dramatic when surrounded by flatter terrain).

So, Peter, I agree with you 100% - time every approach.

Hilton