Old September 8th 05, 11:27 PM
Frank Stutzman

Hilton wrote:

I can't believe people still discuss this issue. Firstly, timing an
approach takes a fraction of a second - simply push a button. Secondly, if
you time every approach it becomes part of your checklist, your routine etc.
Thirdly, as you point out, what the heck do you do (can you do) if you're in
IMC on an ILS and your GS fails? You're screwed and only luck will save
your butt (it may be less dramatic when surrounded by flatter terrain).

Well, I won't disagree with you about doing the timing. Its cheap, its
easy, and it couldn't hurt.

However, if I'm on the ILS and my only GS fails, I'm going missed RIGHT
NOW. I don't care wether I have a timer or not.

Yes, of course, if I'm down to my last pint of fuel, I'm rather forced to
continue and the timer would be very useful. However, if thats the case,
I've made a whole batch of mistakes.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"