Old September 8th 05, 11:47 PM
Hilton

Frank,

Hilton wrote:

I can't believe people still discuss this issue. Firstly, timing an
approach takes a fraction of a second - simply push a button. Secondly,

if
you time every approach it becomes part of your checklist, your routine

etc.
Thirdly, as you point out, what the heck do you do (can you do) if

you're in
IMC on an ILS and your GS fails? You're screwed and only luck will save
your butt (it may be less dramatic when surrounded by flatter terrain).

Well, I won't disagree with you about doing the timing. Its cheap, its
easy, and it couldn't hurt.

However, if I'm on the ILS and my only GS fails, I'm going missed RIGHT
NOW. I don't care wether I have a timer or not.

The problem is that you have no missed approach procedure to follow. Let's
say, for example, that the missed is a 180 degree turn back to the LOM. If
you start your turn early (i.e. fly the missed right now), you may hit a
mountain.

i.e. you must have a way to determine (at least approximately) where the MAP
is; for examples are GS, DME, VOR, timing... You have to fly to the MAP to
be safe on the missed. Of course, you can and should climb if your GS dies.

Hilton