Old March 25th 05, 12:33 PM
John Carrier

"Harry Andreas" wrote in message
In article JHm0e.9499$191.8337@trnddc02, "MICHAEL OLEARY"
wrote:

I don't remember if the Tomcat had the same issues as the Hornet with
shutting down an engine and losing the ability to extend the refueling
probe. If the aircraft had to shut down an engine, the pilot would
extend
the probe prior to shutting it down. This allowed the aircraft to in
flight
refuel if the pilot couldn't land the first couple of times. If the
pilot
didn't extend it and couldn't land, the barricade was the next step if no
divert was available.

Can you shut down an F-14 engine inflight?
I thought the asymmetric thrust was a particular problem for the Tom.
(I guess you CAN shut it down, but should you...without getting out?)

Only done it a couple hundred times. It's a requirement during a post
maintenance check flight (albeit not all profiles). Also had a single
engine due to fuel control failure. Asymmetric thrust is only an issue slow
and at higher than prescribed angle of attack.

Do you really think that jettisoning the aircraft is the preferred
alternative to flying a single-engine approach?

R / John