Old July 16th 03, 10:59 PM
Jim Weir

"Michael Shnitzer"

-When the license requirement was around in the US was that a license for the
-person or a license for airplane?

Both.

The very early licenses I had for the airplane was a "VHF Transmitter". It
wasn't very long after that that transponders became the vogue, and you had to
get an endorsed license for "pulse equipment" on the license. Fortunately, this
covered the DME as well.

The pilot had to have a radiotelephone operator's permit. Again, back in the
very early days (pre-60) it involved a short written or oral test (I really
don't remember which, because I never had to take it) for a "restricted third
class operator's permit". Those of us who went on and got second or first class
permits because we needed them in our work never bothered with the restricted
third.

Would a ham radio license have covered
-the pilot back then?

Only if he was operating aircraft mobile on the ham bands. Not for aircraft
band.

Jim
http://www.rst-engr.com