Old July 18th 03, 05:40 PM
Kevin Brooks

(Peter Stickney) wrote in message ...
In article ,
(Kevin Brooks) writes:
(Peter Stickney) wrote in message ...
In article ,
(JGB) writes:
"Paul J. Adam" wrote in message ...
In message , JGB
writes
"Paul J. Adam" wrote in message
No nation is immune to the "home field advantage" argument.

In most cases, I agree, but with Israel NOT when it comes to such
decisive weapons as air to air missiles, radars, and the like

ISrael generally
has to fight alone and MUST win its major wars or lose the country.
ISraeli pilot MUST have equipment second to none on the planet, or possibly
lose the country, no matter who manufactures it.

By that argument, Israel would never have accepted the M60 tank for
frontline use, let alone kept it this long (to say nothing of the
upgunned Shermans...) Again, the history flatly contradicts your claims.

I thought that in '67 Israel's frontline MBT was the British Centurion.

It was a mix. Centurions, many of them upgunned to 105mm L68 guns,
ex-FRG M-48s, and uprated Shermans, for the MBTs. AMX-13s for light
tanks. Some AMX 105mm SP howitzers, a bunch of M7 105mm SP Hows,
picked up from junkyards around the world, and M3 (WHite Halftrack)
APCs, for the Mech forces. The Infantry folks rode in whatever they
could get, ranging from taxicaps to semitrailers to buses, and had
various flavors of 105mm and 155m towed artillery.

The ex-German tanks wer kinda purchesed in a backdoor manner, too.

But didn't the Syrians use the old German Panther as late as 56 (if not 67)?

Not Panthers, but Panzer IVs, and Jagdpanzer IVs. Reportedly, some
were still in service in 1967. I don't recall Syria having any part
of the 1956 war, other than providing a haven for the Egyptian Air
Force. Until the attempted forming of the United Arab Republic with
Egypt, Syria was pretty much too poor to buy weapons, and not as
attractive a Soviet client as the Egyptians.

Thanks. So the Israelis were not the only military paupers in the
region, at least until sometime after 56. One has to wonder if the
Syrian PzKw IV's ever engaged Israeli Super Shermans in 67 or during
the years immediately prior.

Brooks