Old July 11th 03, 03:02 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Justin Maas wrote:

Most avionics in the works are keeping the pilots in the loop, but how long
will it be before professional pilots are just like the men that used to be
in an elevator (or even out of the cockpit)?

I've got a collection of Bill Mauldin's cartoons from the 60's. In one of
them, a pilot is sitting on the wheel of his F-104 dispairing over the
headlines, which claim that manned fighters will soon be obsolete. Mauldin's
"Joe" character, a WW II frontline GI, tells him "Don't let it get you, bub.
I been outa style fer 20 years."

That advice is still good.

George Patterson
The optimist feels that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The
pessimist is afraid that he's correct.
James Branch Cavel