Old September 11th 09, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

Default Emergency Descents with ATC COMS - Video

In article
,
"Flaps_50!" wrote:

On Sep 12, 3:48*am, jan olieslagers
wrote:
Mike Ash schreef:

The flight of aircraft is "subject to restrictions" everywhere within
the US and most other countries. For example, can't PIC without a valid
pilot's certificate. Can't fly inside clouds while VFR. Do these
restrictions make the whole country a "restricted area"? Of course not!

"Restricted area" has a specific meaning in the US. It is specific
airspace which has special restrictions applied beyond those found in
normal airspace. On a sectional you will find restricted airspace to be
designated using a solid blue border with perpendicular blue dashes
pointing toward the inside. For an example, pull up NHK on skyvector.com.

Indeed I think there's confusion between the linguistical significance
of "restricted" and the more strict interpretation in aviation
regulations. For this once, though, I believe the term stems from ICAO
terminology and thus isn't limited to the USA.

A agree, area implies a ground reference. Airspace is often
restricted from certain actvities outside normal flight.

I did not say that "area implies a ground reference". I said that
restricted airspace is a specifically designated type of airspace by the
FAA in the United States. A restricted area is synonymous with an area
of restricted airspace.

Let me put this as simply as I possibly can: restricted area, and
restricted airspace, when in the context of aviation in the US, mean a
specific type of airspace designated as "restricted" by the FAA. This
airspace has a special designation on sectional charts. Class A, B, C,
D, E, and G airspaces are not restricted airspaces. Victor airways are
not restricted airspace. There is no restricted airspace anywhere near
KJAN.

You want to discuss "airspace where aerobatic flight is restricted" then
go for it, but USE A DIFFERENT TERM FOR IT.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth